Tatiana Platowa and Boris Novikoff, “Famous World Premier Dancers”, had their School of the Dance at 1022 Davie Street in the Lester Academy. Novikoff, “Famous World Artist and Rejiseur [sic]”, also ran a Moving Picture Studio from the same location, as well as summer courses for teachers. In 1929, they would open a second studio at the top of the Georgia Hotel, when Madame Platowa was partnered by two Novikoffs: Boris and Ivan, both of whom were graduates of the Russian Imperial Ballet School.
In June of 1929, the school put on “a pictorial recital” of Hansel and Gretel in the Women's Building at 752 Thurlow Street, while in May of 1931, in memory of Pavlova, they presented Coppélia at the Vancouver Theatre. Carnival, presumably Fokine's Le Carnaval, and modern German dances were also part of the program. At the Vancouver Theatre in May of 1932 the school presented 100 dancers in what was billed as “New Moving Radio Television Art.”
The program indicates that the evening opened with the Nutcracker Suite in two acts, but the Sun review on May 28 describes the opening feature as an Arctic ballet with polar bears, seals and penguins. Perhaps the order of the three-part program was changed at the last minute; in any case, “the whole production ... enthused a large audience including many friends and relatives of the clever pupils.” (next page)
©2006, Dance Collection Danse