The Vancouver Opera House had been active for some time, having opened in February 1891 with the Emma Juch Grand English Opera Company. They were brought to Vancouver at a cost of $10,000 and performed Wagner's Lohengrin. In September, Sarah Bernhardt appeared in Fédora and La Tosca.
The Vancouver Opera House was located on the west side of Granville Street between Georgia and Robson, built by the C.P.R. adjacent to the first Hotel Vancouver, and owned by them until 1909. It could hold over 1,000 patrons in orchestra, gallery and box seating, and had a drop scene with a Canadian view of mountains (The Three Sisters) and the Bow River. Made in New York, the drop arrived in Vancouver by rail on two flatcars. Notably, electric lights were used as a replacement for gas lighting. Evening dress was required for both men and women, and Hansom cabs took patrons to the door; for those returning by streetcar, the whole system would be held past its usual 11 p.m. closing time until the audience came out. Until 1912, it served as the city's principal theatre for touring companies and important solo performers. (next page)
©2006, Dance Collection Danse