Clearly, dance of all kinds was gaining a foothold in the city. Miss C. McLachlin, of Boston's School of Expression, taught elocution, physical culture and Swedish gymnastics on Richards Street in 1900. Engagements could be made for public and private readings, and she would also superintend the presentation of posing, drills and private theatricals.
Myers' Dance Academy on the corner of Homer and Pender Streets ran an advertisement in a Vancouver Opera House program in 1906 that assured readers it was “The Finest on the Coast and one of the best on the Continent.” M.C. Myers had been teaching dance since 1889.
In 1909, F.E. Dorchester placed an ad in a Vancouver Opera House program for his Dorchester System of Physical Culture on West Hastings Street.
In 1911, F.H. Kirkpatrick, Ph.D., was Principal at the Conservatory School of Expression, where public reading, oratory, physical and vocal culture, dramatic art and literature were taught.
Franklin's Dancing Academy on the corner of Robson and Granville Streets had an ad in an Imperial Theatre program in 1913 when Adeline Genée was the coming attraction.
In 1915, Miss Eileen Swepstone, certified by Mrs. Wordsworth's School in London, England, taught deportment and presentation for young ladies, plus the latest ballroom dances, step and toe dancing, and national dances.
In 1917, Madame Eulalie Tasmann was at the Conservatoire of Music and Dancing, offering ballroom, classic, toe, descriptive, Grecian and Oriental dancing at 1127 Robson Street.
The same year, Miss Mollie Lee was an instructor in the School of Classic and Toe Dancing, part of the Vancouver School of Expression at 553 Granville Street. (next page)
©2006, Dance Collection Danse